3.3.7. Concrete Shells
Concrete can be manufactured out of Martian regolith and water. It does need however need something acting as a form and inflatable structures could provide it thus allowing big shells with very large spans.
· Good performance both as compressed (concrete) and tensed (inflatable).
· Continuous surface without joins.
· No need for outer protection to abrasion.
· Inflatable structure will require manufacturing in Earth and therefore small amounts of pressurized spaces will be able to use this system. However unpressurized spaces using this technology will be largely available if the inflatable form can be reused several times.
· Still need for protection for radiation (50cm regolith).