3.3.4. Steel plate construction
Steel can provide a construction system that both stand the weights of materials due to Mars gravity and the tension due to the interior pressure in conditioned spaces. Steel will be manufactured in the shape of plates and small profiles. By continuous welding small plates of around 30cm together, bigger plates of around 90cm can be manufactured on conditioned spaces and afterwards brought to the construction site where they will be finally welded to achieve bigger surfaces.
· Good performance both as compressed (gravity) and tensed (inner pressure).
· Easy methods for welding testing.
· No need for outer protection to abrasion.
· All shapes available.
· Large lengths of continuous welding.
· Still need for radiation protection.