3.3.2. Inflatable structures and vessels
Inflatable structures are very attractive but it is still a non proved technology and it might be difficult to manufacture it in Mars facilities. It is however a good option to bring in small amounts from Earth.
· Offer large in-use volume with big launch weight savings, lower packaging volume.
· Offer good ruggedness.
· Easily deploys curved surfaces (optimal for interior pressure requirements).
· Non proven technology
· Difficult to manufacture in Mars, would require expensive transport from Earth.
· Difficult integration of windows and hatches.
· Difficult protection against radiation and micrometeoroid impacts.